First post for a new beginning

Hi there,

My webpage has been empty for quite a long while and it’s time to change that. You see, last summer I began pursuing a B.S. in Computer Science at UNCA. This semester, I added on 1 credit hour for undergraduate research. My professor is rather hands off for this research project and overall it feels pretty free form. I figured I should probably have some kind of record of what I’ve been doing so this blog just seemed like the obvious place for that.

For a long while now I have been wanting to design a multiplayer game using an entity component system (ECS) and a client/server setup over UDP. Why UDP? Mostly because it is way harder to design for UDP than for TCP, but also because the game I want to create is an action oriented game. I thought that this concept would be great to explore for my undergrad research and an excellent way to really push my limits.

For some background, I had already started on this project a long while back. I began making the game in Java using the LibGDX game library. The game concept is a 2D, top-down space shooter/sim inspired by the likes of Escape Velocity. I got as far as having a single ship on a starry background and a very basic client/server setup allowing multiple players to connect to each other and see each other flying around – at least until you fly away from the starting point and are never able to find each other again due to there being no level boundary. I started looking at how to implement something like Source Multiplayer Networking and felt very overwhelmed by it all. Other projects came around and it wasn’t long before I moved on to other things.

So far my undergrad research this semester has consisted of studying these Gaffer on Games articles about multiplayer networking while looking over my old source code and hopelessly wondering how in the world to continue it. The old code, while it was a basic UDP client/server implementation, had the issue of not knowing how big the packets I was sending were and that bothers me a lot now. Additionally, I recall that the multiplayer was more or less working for at least 3 players but now it does not work very well at all. In my last test run, we got 2 players connected to the server and had their movement synced for all of about 1 second. I’ve come to the conclusion today that since I’m not very far along I might as well just remake it from scratch.

KryoNet will likely still work as my networking library but I will need to ensure that I am will be able to keep track of how much data I am sending/receiving with it. My choice of ECS will likely still be this reflection based ECS (RECS) that I have contributed to in the past though I plan to look into what new options are out there. The author of RECS has used a lot of very clever tricks in order to obtain a highly performant system; it will be interesting to see if other ECS libraries can compare.

I briefly considered using C++ for my rewrite but I have decided against it for the following reasons. I am not very familiar with C++. While many large game developers tend to use C++ there are a huge number of indie developers who don’t and are still able to produce excellent games. Getting better at game design, even if only in one language, will likely be better than using sub par techniques while stumbling through another language.

Here’s a link to the github repo for the project if you’d like to follow along.

Leave a Reply